Monday, October 21, 2013

Clothes - Part 3 - Accessories

Buttons. To prove that I am actually a man, I used nails for the buttons. I went out and got the smallest nails I could find at the hardware store, which was 1/2". They ended up being a little longer than I wanted, but I was able to fix them in the end. I started by painting them white.


After the paint had dried I cut the nails down to about 1/4" (maybe a little smaller) with my Dremel.


I had to reshape the ends to a point so they could be pounded into wood. Again, I used the Dremel and carefully cut a point at the end of each nail.


I realized about half way through painting that the paint was going to come off of the nails as soon as I started pounding them into his chest with a hammer. Fortunately, It did not turn out that bad. In fact, I kind of like the way it looked so I left it.

Belt. This was relatively easy in comparison to the buttons. I started out wit a piece of pleather cut from an old purse. Using an Exacto knife, I cut out a strip about 1/4" wide and just long enough to go around the waist of my model.


I rounded the end with a pair of scissors.


To make the buckle, I started with a paper clip that I had previously dipped in acid to remove the shiny outer coating and cut it in half.


I folded one side in and trimmed off the excess.


I then glued the buckle in place with super glue


I put double stick tape on the inside of the belt to help it stay in place.


I cut the head off of a straight pin and stuck in at an angle to make the prong. I added a little more double stick tape to the end of the belt to hold everything in place.


You may have noticed that there was a stain on his shirt next to the buttons. I had some grease on my hands when I was pounding in the nails and got some on his shirt. I found that you can take out stains like that with Bissel carpet cleaning solution. I mixed 1 part Bissel with 2 parts water and put it on the end of a cotton swab and GENTLY rubbed out the stain. I added water to the other end of the swab to rinse it out.


He totally has a belt made out of a purse.

Up next... Animation.

No comments:

Post a Comment