Monday, March 31, 2014

Tiny Furniture (Book Shelves)

Basically, I needed some furniture to occupy an office set I was building for an upcoming animation. In the past I haven't spent a lot of time on the furniture (and you can tell) so this time I decided to step it up a bit. I started with some 1/4" plywood and cut out the various pieces I needed.


I wanted to make these shelves "Fancy" so I added a bevel to the front edge of the top and bottom pieces.


I used my my homemade Dremel router table to make the bevel.


Router tables for the Dremel are fairly easy to make and it do a very good job. Here's a shot of the underside.


The bevel is a little grainy but with a little sanding...


I started assembling the pieces one by one.


I added a little wood glue on the edge. When working on something this small, It really helps to blot the glue with a rag before putting the pieces together. This helps to rid the piece of excess glue.


I used 1/4" braid nails to secure the pieces together. The nails a so small that I needed to start them with a pair of needle nose pliers.


I picked up this tiny hammer in the wood craft section at Menards. It works really well on the braid nails.


Using a punch, I inset the nails so they won't be visible.


I filled the tiny holes with wood putty and sanded the whole piece.


To continue with the "Fancy" theme I stained the wood with a dark reddish stain. I got quite a bit on my workbench so I decided to stain that too. Well, maybe decided isn't the right word.


I wanted the final piece to look like it had been used so I only added two coats of polyurethane. This should make it look shinier in some spots than others.


Finally, I drilled a hole in the bottom of the piece to secure it to the floor.


After a little "roughing up" the finished shelf is ready for action.

No comments:

Post a Comment