Friday, September 20, 2013

Head Creation - Part 4 - Assembly

Assembly. Now comes the tricky part. In order to get the eyes into the head I need to saw it in half. I made a line right through the center of the eyes horizontally. This will be my cut line.



I used a table saw to make the cut. There are two things you need to remember when using a saw like that on a project like this. First, make the cut straight. If it's not straight the first time, you may as well start over because it never will be. Second, oh shit this thing could cut my fingers off!


After the cut is made I need to make a spot for the eyes to go. For this I used my Dremel with the sanding drum and 60 grit paper. I could probably cut it out but sanding it out gives you a lot more control.




And slowly...


carve out a socket for the eyes. You have to continually make sure that the socket in the top of the head and the socket in the bottom of the head match up. Otherwise...  well you know.


I put a little piece of foam weather stripping at the back of the eye socket to make sure the eyes stays in place when animating. Finally, I glued the two halves back together with wood glue.


I think he needs glasses.

Up next.. Clean up, paint and accessories.



No comments:

Post a Comment