Monday, September 16, 2013

Head Creation - Part 2 - Carving

Carving. This part takes the longest but is definitely the most fun. I found a set of Yasutomo Niji woodcarving chisels on Amazon for about 10 bucks and they are perfect for this size project.  Just remember to sharpen them before each use.
Speaking of sharpening, I cut my thumb about half way through so I decided to use my Dremel for the second half. I was wearing gloves and all, but these chisels can cut through anything if they are sharp enough. I made a time lapse video of the carving of the head to better illustrate the process.



At the end, I used a detail sander to smooth out the head. I really like the look of the wood once the sanding is completed. It is a almost a shame that I have to paint it.


Up next... Eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment