Monday, October 14, 2013

Clothes - Part 2 - Shirt

Shirt. I found this pattern at undeadthreads.com. It is actually for a trench coat but I modified it to be a dress shirt. It was very easy, I cut the length in half to accommodate my model, shortened the sleeves a bit and omitted the flaps in the front. Because this pattern was made for a doll, I did not need to resize it in Photoshop. Instead I just cut away what I did not need after printing.


I pinned the pattern to my material. I used an old pillow case for this one.


I started with the vest.


I hemmed the bottom and the front. The seam on the front was curved for the extra flap on the trench coat so I sewed it straight to make it a dress shirt.


I attached the front and back together at the shoulders.


I then attached the arms to the vest.


To make the collar I started by drawing a straight line for the seam on the pattern.


I sewed up the sides and trimmed away the excess fabric to make it easier to turn inside out.


Tada! I actually had to make the collar twice. The first one I made was too short for the neck hole. But that happens to me a lot.


I then folded the cuffs in half a sewed them together.


I attached the cuffs to the end of the sleeves. Before I put the collar on, I noticed that the shirt was a little bigger than I wanted. I decided to take about 1/2 inch out of the back of the shirt. I did this by folding the back in half and sewing a straight line from the bottom to the top. I then cut off the excess material. Then I could attach collar to the neck. 


Finally, I ironed the collar down and sewed up the sides and the sleeves. I folded the top front directly underneath the collar at a slight angle. I did not think I could sew this piece so I used a bit of Stitch Witchery to hold it down.


I will need to add buttons to the front at a later date.

Contemplating his next move. 

It is at this point that I began to have nightmares of this model coming to life and trying to kill me. I guess that means it's working.

Up next... accessories, and buttons probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment