Saturday, October 5, 2013

Wooden Armature - Part 3 - Feet

Feet. I started by cutting out a basic foot shape from two 1x6x13 of pine glued together. It only took a couple of minutes with my new used scroll saw. I then separated the pieces so I would have two shoes the exact same size.



I drilled a hole on top to stick the animation wire in. I then used a dremel to round of the sides and sanded the shoes smooth with a detail sander.


Then I painted the shoes black.


Next, I drilled a hole in the bottom for a nut. The nut will be used to hold the model in position when animating.


To attach the nut to the bottom of the shoe, I first screwed the nut onto a threaded rod.



Then I filled the holes with epoxy putty and pushed the nut into the bottom of the shoe. I then unscrewed the threaded rod and removed the excess putty.


To attach the shoe to the armature, I started by twisting together five pieces of animation wire. I used epoxy putty to secure the animation wire to the legs of the armature.


I cut the wire down to size and covered the exposed portion with heat shrink.


Finally I filled the holes on the top of the shoes with epoxy putty and attached them to the bottom of the armature.


Up next... Hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment